You Know It But Are You Doing It.
If you are interested in becoming successful then you have probably read or heard about many of the techniques for achieving success. You know some techniques and you believe that you understand those techniques. But are you actually using them each and every day?
Let's look at an example.
Write Out The Six Most Important Things To Do For The Day.
This is one of the most powerful success techniques that you can use.
Here is the strategy, as properly executed:
- At the end of the day write down the six most important things you need to do tomorrow.
- There must be six items. Not five, nor seven, nor any other number, but exactly six.
- Each morning read over the list you wrote the night before and think where and how you will fit those six things into your day.
- Do the six things and tick each one when it is completed.
- At the end of the day review your six things and then write tomorrow's list.
You've probably heard this technique before, but are you doing it?
Where is your list for today? Does it have exactly six items on it? Did you write it at the end of yesterday? Are the items the six most important things or not? Are you ticking them as you complete them?
A very common reason for failure is that the person does not follow the technique exactly!
Here are some steps for changing that bad habit.
Step 1. Make sure you know and understand the technique.
Know and understanding are not the same thing. To understand a success technique you have to know what to do, how to do it, and why you are doing it. If you are missing any of those three understandings then you don't yet understand that technique.
Step 2. Write down, in point form, the elements of that technique.
The best test of understanding is to write down the elements, from memory, in your own words. If you can't do that with confidence and certainty then go back to step 1.
Step 3. Make sure your list includes HOW to do each element.
How you do a thing is far more important than what you do.
For years I competed in the sport of powerlifting. I was very keen to do well in this sport and so when I was in the gym I watched people training to see what I could learn. I watched the champions, I watched the good lifters and I watched the lifters who were going nowhere.
Guess what? They all did the same training exercises. The difference wasn't in what they did it was in how they did it. The champions approached each exercise with total focus and commitment and gave it their all. The losers only went through the motions and never really stretched their comfort zone.
Step 4. Read over your list of elements and make sure that it is complete and correct.
Take your list of the elements for that technique and read over each item.
- Take the time to stop and think if that element is correctly stated.
- Check that your list is a list of "how to do's" not just a list of "what to do's."
- Check that the list is complete, with no additions and no omissions.
Losers are constantly trying to reinvent the wheel! They want to give each technique their own twist. It might be wise for them to remember that the technique was developed by people who are, or were, a lot more successful than they are.
Step 5. When you are using the technique, keep referring back to your list to make sure that you are doing each and every thing correctly.
Don't trust memory as a guide. Develop the habit of regularly checking back to the source to ensure that you are applying the technique correctly.
My Challenge To You
I am challenging you now to look at the success techniques that you think you know and then, for each one, ask these three questions.
1. Do I really understand the what, how and why of this technique?
2. Have I really been applying this technique each and every day?
3. Have I been applying this technique with total focus and commitment?
Remember that knowing but not doing is worse than not knowing; because it is just plain stupid!
About the Author: James Delrojo would like to help you by giving you his
ebook "Unleash the Success Power of Your Mind"
(valued at ) completely FREE.
Go to http://www.YourSuccessMind.com