First Date Goals
Here are some tips for having a good first date:
1. Remember the goal of the first date. The goal of the first date is to get a second date. You want to find out that you have enough chemistry with another person to go out a second time. After all, no type of relationship can develop if you only see the person one time in your life and never again.
2. Dress nice, but dress like you. You want to make a good first impression. However, don't try to be something you are not. Obviously you will want to dress appropriately for the type of event you attend.
3. Pay close attention to personal grooming. You should be doing this normally, but it is especially important on a first date.
4. Try to relax. When people get nervous they tend to either be too quiet or too talkative. You want to maintain a calm persona.
5. Remember to ask questions of your date. Get to know them. Don't just talk about yourself.
6. Don't drink too much. Don't be rude to the wait staff. Don't forget to bring money to cover your portion of the meal, at least. Don't talk on your cell phone unless it is very important. If your date picks you up, don't forget to have extra money for cab fare in case you need it!
7. A lot of people will go to dinner and a movie for a first date. However, movies do not make a great first date because you aren't able to talk to the person which should be the whole point of the date. Plan a fun activity where you have plenty of time to get to know one another.
8. Don't lie about your interests. If your date is an avid tennis player, it is unwise to go into detail about how you are working on your backhand unless you actually are. The truth is going to come out eventually. Try to make genuine connections with your date…don't invent connections when they are not there.
9. If you are interested in seeing the person again, make it known. If you are not interested, don't lie to your date. A simple "Thanks for the evening" will suffice. Do not promise to call or go on a second date unless you intend to follow through.
10. Remember safety. Don't assume that you can tell what type of person your date is by an hour in a restaurant. It is best to stay in public places on a first date. Depending on how well you know the person ahead of time, you might want to consider meeting them instead of having them pick you up.
Hopefully, your first date will turn into one of a lifetime of memories that you share with the new person in your life.
About the Author: Ron Zvagelsky has a degree in Business Administration from the University of Southern California. He graduated Magna Cum Laude in May 2006. He is currently the Chief Executive Officer of PlanJam – where you can find tons of first date ideas and cheap date ideas.