Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
The Art Of Speaking: Winning The Mental Game Of Presenting
How many of your speeches could be considered artistic? Do your audiences view you as a master speaker? What would you have to do to boost your speaking to the next level?
Highly experienced speakers not only know their subject, they know themselves, their audiences and their craft. They know how to write, stage and organize winning presentations that engage the audience at all levels.
To kick your speaking up a notch, take any of these 13 tips on as a project and watch your investment in yourself as a speaker grow.
13 Strategies For Making Your Speeches Masterful
1. Go beyond telling your audience about your subject. Be passionate and become engaged with your subject.
2. Demonstrate your credibility and your right to be on the platform by recounting your experiences as an expert and how you solved problems and helped people and organizations.
3. Masterfully customize your material for each audience so they know absolutely that you are there for them.
4. Refine your voice control and turn your throat into a musical instrument your audiences love to listen to at length.
5. Speak from your heart and touch the hearts of your audience. Take risks by being vulnerable, imperfect and your audience will see you as a real human being, as one of them, not just as "the speaker".
6. Speak the truth and your audience will respond. Avoid any inconsistencies or incongruencies between your "real life" and your "platform life".
7. Tell more stories and give fewer statistics. Reduce the PowerPoint and get more personal and people will respond eagerly.
8. Connect with your audience, one person at a time. Begin the personal touch before you take the stage by "being with" people in the audience, not "talking at" them.
9. Have fun as you speak and so will your audience. To get in the fun mode, stop focusing on yourself, and instead be audience-centered.
10. Respect your audiences and they will respect you. Never insult or disrespect anyone in your audiences. Show your regard for everyone.
11. Stop writing your speeches and start living them. Find your best material from your travels, your work, your friends, your family and the real world around you.
12. Create multi-media presentations to engage people the way they are used to -- with modern media. Coordinate your talk points with particular moments in the media show and you will WOW people.
13. Create and deliver your talk from the A-V-K matrix. This means your talk should be approximately 25% auditory, with 45% visual and 30% kinesthetic. You want to speak to everyone's learning styles in the audience.
Now you have a better idea how master speakers make it look so easy. The hard work is in the preparation and in the crafting of the message. Enjoy your journey in the speaking world and you will reap the many benefits of this exciting calling.
For a comprehensive overview of your abilities as a speaker you need an assessment instrument that identifies your complete strengths and weaknesses. Go to the Procoach website for a free, easy-to-take 65-item presentation skills assessment tool you can score right on the spot. You can use this as a guide in creating your own presentation coaching program, or as the basis for a coaching program you undertake with Bill Cole, MS, MA.
About the Author: Bill Cole, MS, MA, a professional speaker and leading authority on presentation coaching, is founder and CEO of Procoach Systems. He is a Wall Of Fame Honoree, and has coached at the highest levels of major-league pro sports, big-time college athletics and corporate America. Visit him at www.MentalGameCoach.com, or call 408-294-2776.