Finding Federal Grants for Woman Owned Businesses
Grants are not Benefits or Entitlements. A Federal Grant is an award of financial assistance from a Federal agency to a recipient to carry out a public purpose of support or stimulation authorized by a law of the United States. Grants are not Federal assistance or loans to individuals.
Since 2002, the federal government has been developing and implementing Grants.gov as a collaborative cross-government program focused on streamlining grants management for the Federal grant community.
There are many U.S. government grants that are available today. American citizens are not just aware or familiar with it because there is not advertisement about it. This is probably because there are no funds allocated for such announcements.
One specific type of grant gives focus on women alone. This can be research about women, other women oriented projects or businesses. Obviously the main requirement is that your project must focus on women, womenís needs (like health) or you the grantee, must be a woman.
To be able to acquire that grant you need to focus on several things, these are the following:
- Know the different types of grants given for women
- Choose which one fits your needs
- Look into also if you are eligible for that grant you fancy.
- Get the application form or what some call as the grants application kit
- Review the necessary details necessary for the application
- Donít rush. Your writing must be well-written and succinct.
Did you know?
Applying at Grants.gov can reduce your costs and the time required to find government grant opportunities and process your application. The site provides access to multiple grantors and reduces paperwork.
By downloading a grant application package, you can view it offline, giving you the flexibility to complete the application when and where you want.
- Make sure that there are no errors, erasures and grammatical errors in your application.- It is very important that your written request be done very well. A well written paper gets the attention of the reviewers. You will have more chances that the grant be awarded to you.
- It would help you better if you can enroll yourself in a proposal writing class (there are online courses available too). You will be able to write your request in a much more understandable language that is very important for the reviewers.
- Make sure to pass your application before the deadline. If you can, try to pass it earlier so it will be the first in line. You donít know how much competition there is for business or research funding.
- Wait after a few days you will receive a report about the evaluation of your request. If you do get it they will request more information about you or your business endeavor.
This is a list of things you need to remember to get that grant but you must remember you need positive thinking and better writing to get it.
Donít be discouraged, instead feel empowered!
About the Author: Michael Saunders has an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. He edits a site on Government Grants for Women Owned Businesses and also edits HandsNet - A Human Services News Website.