The Best Exercise For Weight Loss
The best exercise for weight loss? There's no such thing, but no surprise there, right? Someone with leg problems can't run to lose weight, and swimming won't work without access to a pool. There is no one-size-fits-all prescription here. You just have to work out which exercises are best for you.
A Few Of The Best Exercises For Weight Loss
Raising your heart and breathing rate for a time at least three times a week is the general idea, and there are many ways to do that. Any activity will burn calories, though, so don't feel you have to start heavy workouts to get some benefit. A few possibilities and ideas follow, but talk to your doctor before starting any of the more athletic activities.
- Do things you enjoy doing, which also involve moving your body. You're more likely to persevere in your efforts if you enjoy yourself.
- Swimming can be a great weight loss exercise, because it is easy on the joints. Swimming in cool water also means your body burns calories heating itself.
- Walking is perhaps a better alternative to running or jogging. It's easier on the body, and delivers about the same benefits for the same distance traveled. It's also more enjoyable for many of us. Walking also can be done in large malls when the weather is bad outside.
- Climbing up and down stairs is a very aerobic exercise. It burns almost as many calories as jogging, without the problems of weather. In the right place, it can be more private too.
- Stationary bicycles are tough to use regularly because of the boredom factor. If you only allow yourself to watch your favorite television show while pedaling, however, you may feel more motivated.
- Parking the car far away from every place you visit can mean a lot of extra walking. Once you do it enough, it will become an almost unconscious habit.
- Walking the dog can be great exercise for you and the dog. It's also a good way to meet new people.
- Getting a job that requires physical activity can be a way to guarantee you'll get enough exercise. Just be sure it's something you can handle and enjoy.
- Gardening helps a lot of people burn calories while doing something enjoyable. It also can produce the healthy foods that help with weight loss.
What's available to you will determine what exercises you can use. You may also have some personal physical limitations. What you enjoy doing may be the most important consideration, however, because the best exercise for weight loss is the one you'll actually do.
About the Author: Steve Gillman writes on many self-improvement topics. You can get more weight loss tips, and subscribe to a free weight loss newsletter at: http://www.99WaysToLoseWeight.com