Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
In some of the world’s poorest regions millions of children live in desperate poverty and need for the most basic of everyday items.
The social, mental and educational development of these children is severely stunted when these items are not provided. Unfortunately the outcome of poverty among children can to other problems later in life:
- Hunger and starvation
- Lack of sanitation
- Diseases and disabilities
- High crime rate
- Increased number of suicides later in life
- Increased risk of political violence; such as terrorism, war, genocide
- Lack of opportunities for employment
- More susceptible to death from natural disasters
- Increased discrimination
- Lower life expectancy
- Drug abuse
Global schemes and organisations try to combat poverty with children or families with children, such as:
Make Poverty History
Save the Children
Most charities ask the general public for a monthly donation, this money goes towards:
- Building schools, training teachers and providing textbooks to make sure children learn practical skills, which will benefit everyone in the community
- Drill boreholes for clean water so children don’t die or get sick needlessly, help the community build medical centres and latrines and train community health workers
- Train each parent about the importance of hygiene and immunisation to give children a healthy start in life and protect them from disease
- Help local people gain access to cooperative village banks where they can save securely for the future or borrow small loans at affordable prices
These monthly donations and the contact from a person in the first world country can greatly help to motivate these children as they feel they are not alone.
About the Author: This article was provided by the official UK charity, Child Sponsorship Plan UK website.