Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Tips for Communicating Effectively
Effective communication skills are necessary for smooth relations with other people. They can be your family, friends, colleagues or even strangers. Communication is engaging in an exchange with another person. Knowing how to communicate effectively will help you get across what you mean more efficiently. This can also help you minimize friction and misunderstandings. The following are some tips for communicating effectively. This can serve as starter course for effective communication.
1. Count 1 to 10. When you get in the middle of an intense argument or when someone suddenly lashes out at you, donít get mad right away. Count 1 to 10 before responding. This will make you aware that the person you are speaking to might just be experiencing severe stress and does not intend to attack you personally.
2. Recognize that you donít know all the answers to all questions. If you donít know the answer just say that you donít know. You donít have to make other people feel and think that you know everything.
3. Listen to other peopleís concerns. People need to be heard just like you do. More importantly, take the initiative to share in other peopleís feelings.
4. Always remember that what others may not mean the way we think they mean it. Our values, beliefs and judgments may have altered the meaning of what someone has said. Always allow for the possibility that our impression of what someone has said may not be true.
5. Focus on common interests rather than differences. This will help you direct your energy to promoting the common interest and making everyone happier, and will also help you avoid frustration.
6. Be aware when you impinge on someoneís space. Personal space is very important for most people. When you impinge on their space try to ask them respectfully. Tell them the reason you have to impinge on their space.
7. Think positive. Always see the glass as half full rather than half empty. Doing so will help you reduce stress. Also it can keep you motivated and pleasant when you deal with other people.
Communicating can be a pleasant and enriching experience when you try to do it more effectively. These simple pointers can help you moving towards more effectively dealing with others, and will save you a great deal of stress and energy.
About the Author: Robert Johanssen is an expert author and has written widely on relationships and communication. Visit his website, Effective Communication for more information on Communication Skills