What is Commitment?
What is Commitment?
There are many types of Commitment.Commitment to, family, spouse, children, job, country, self, ideology and God.The state of being bound emotionally or intellectually to a course of action or to another person or persons. A Pledge. To pledge or obligate one's own self. Commit, consign, entrust, confide, relegate. When I married my wife I committed myself to her welfare, both physically and emotionally. She put her trust in me to provide for not only her but for our children, forsaking all to the betterment of one relationship under God. I made a commitment to my employer to do the best as I was able to provide him with quality work for the pay that I received, never defrauding him in any way.
I made a commitment to my Country, to serve and protect such rights as were provided by the constitution, as I served in the Military, being sent where and when I was ordered. I made a commitment to myself to do those things that were lawful and needful to my welfare, to obtain the American dream of self suffiency and wellbeing. I made a commitment to my Ideology, being understood that God came first then everything else afterwards. Believing in one God, one Saviour, one Bible and one way of Salvation by the Direction of one Holy Ghost. I did my best to uphold each commitment as I was able, being limited in the body but with my spirit willing.
Even after being devastated by three heart attacks, my commitment to my wife, family, children, ideology, self and God has not dwindled nor been removed by my sercomstances. Once a commitment has been made it cannot be counted as void because of changing situations. But as we all have made commitments in our lives, not one of us ever had to shed blood for our commitment to God. We all, as believers, have made a commitment to God. To uphold, His, Statutes, Laws, Commandments, Ideals, to hold to our Faith in Him no mater what came against us, but we still have not shed blood for the cause of our commitment. We have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.[Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.] Lets talk a little about the comittment of Jesus to His Father and to us.
Matthew 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. Jesus made severial comittments,
1. To re-obtain Dominion over the earth. [Mat 4:8-10; Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.] For we all know that Adam was given dominion over the earth by God and then lost it to Satan when He fell. Matthew 4:8-10, proves that Satan Had dominion over all because Jesus never rebuked him for his offer to give the kingdoms of the earth to Him.
2. Preach The everlasting Gospel to the House of Israel.[Mat 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Mar 7:26-27 The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter. But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs. [The comittment of Jesus was to offer salvation to the Jews first, doing so fulfilling prophecy. [Isa_53:5, Isa_53:6, Isa_53:11, Isa_53:12; Mat_8:17; Gal_3:13; Heb_9:28; 1Pe_2:24, 1Pe_3:18; 1Jo_2:2] Isa 9:6-7; For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
3. To set in place a plan of Salvation for all mankind. John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. 4. To give His life to secure mankinds salvation for all that would believe on Him. Joh 10:14-18; I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep(Recognition of the Saved), and am known of mine(Recoginition of the Savour). As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep(Israel). And other sheep I have(The Gentile Race), which are not of this fold:(The Jewish Race of People) them also I must bring(Save), and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold,(No more Jew nor Greek) and one shepherd. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.(His fulfilment of His Comittment to God and Man.) No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. 5. To live a sinless life for an example for us.
Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot(Sin) to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. 1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: (Sinless)
6. Comitted to fulfill the will of the Father. Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.Mat 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. Mat 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. Joh 8:49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. Joh 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
7. Comitted to Destroy the works of Satan. Luk 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Act 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. Rev 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
8. Comitted to Return to reastablish Gods dominion upon the earth for eternity. Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. Rev 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. Rev 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
Jesus has fulfilled His commitments except 1, The return to finally destroy Satan and establish His eternal kingdom upon the earth. To those that don't believe, look at history and see all the commitments that were fulfilled by Christ and ponder the thought, that if all these things are true, then the last will also come to pass. Do you think that God will leave the last undone? I think not. This world is falling apart at the seams, conflict, confusion, war and rumors of war. The worlds monetary system is going bankrupt, soon money will be useless and the things that you thought were important, no one will even want to steel. What will be your commitment when Christ returns? Will it be to Him or will you commit to Satan and a final battle at Armogedon?
About the Author: Temple of Spirit & Truth Ministries
A.R.Smith Sermons International