12 Ways To Name Your Cat
12 Ways To Name Your Cat
Naming your cat has to be one of the most difficult choices you will have to make. Most cats come home as kittens and will display a unique personality which may suggest name to you. Soon however, they may change and the name you first thought of may seem silly or inappropriate. If you have had cats before and allowed your child to choose, Henry soon became Henrietta. Perhaps you named a cat Tiny and later they outgrew their name. Her are some ideas to get you started on choosing the best name for your four legged companion.
1. Look around the neighborhood. Are there any place names that you can adapt kitty’s name to?
2. Cats have been named after people, song titles, movies and other things that appeal to their owners.
3. How independent is your new cat. If they need constant attention then a cute cuddly name will be better. If they are aloof, then maybe an upper class name or title will suit better.
4. Consider the length of the name you choose. If it’s too long you will probably shorten it later, so be careful or else you will have a cat with two names!
5. What season were they born in and what was the weather like?
6. Is pussy’s color distinctive? If so use a variation.
7. Let a child make up a name. it can be any child; yours , the neighbor’s, a child walking past. Kids often say the craziest things and sometimes it just works for a new kitty!
8. Choose short names that are easy for pussy to remember too. After all you don’t want to confuse the master of the house with a difficult to remember name!
9. what school do you think your cat should attend? Maybe Harvard or Yale or possibly an English college. There are some great names there.
10. Does pussy remind you of anyone famous or do you want her to be remembered as an historical character.
11. What about a rock star? Does pussy look like a lead guitarist or a drummer. Look at the names of rock bands and their members. (Band members are people who could have made an equally comfortable living making up names for cats.)
12. what about a business name. does your new kitten look like a budding media mogul or CEO of an Internet giant? If so just go straight to the yellow pages and look at the names.
If all of these tips fail, then you may just have to let pussy choose her/himself. Here’s how to do just that. First, talk to her and ask questions about possible names. When she hears her name she may respond with a cute “yes that’s my name” or alternatively “No, now get serious”. Sometimes kitty will pay attention if you seem to be on the right track, and other time just walk away. Either way she’s given you an idea, so why not try it even if you don’t like the choice. Using this method, you will soon learn a valuable lesson, and that is, whichever way you look at it, pussy will always get her own way.
About the Author: Michael is the owner of Love Your Kitty, the BEST site for looking after your cat properly. You will also find great gift ideas for kitty at www.PussyCatsAlive.com