Laser Hair Removal – ten tips
1. Tanning, either from a bottle or from the sun, is not recommended just before laser hair removal. Darker skin soaks up the light of the laser before it reaches the follicle, thus reducing its effectiveness.
2. When you schedule your appointment for laser hair removal, remember that it is far more effective to undertake the procedure in the growth phase of the hair cycle, so shave the area to be treated three or four days before your appointment, so that there is visible active stubble.
3. After a treatment, the laser leaves the hair follicles open for several days. An antibacterial cream or lotion applied will prevent skin blemishes. Speak to your technician about this before you schedule an appointment.
4. If your skin is naturally dark, you may risk skin discoloration using this method of hair removal since many types of laser machines search for melanin. Melanin is the pigment, or color, found in hair and skin.
5. Ensure that you undergo a skin patch test before agreeing to any laser hair removal treatment. The patch test should be in a low-visibility area with skin the same type and hair density as the intended treatment area.
6. Allow three or four days after patch testing, to assess the efficiency of the test and any possible reaction. The skin patch result will help the technician decide upon the correct laser settings for you.
7. Practice due diligence in researching which type of laser treatment and which clinic is right for your individual needs.
8. Laser hair removal treatment will only work on hair in the anagen or active growth phase of hair growth, this phase usually lasts at least a year, and up to 85% of our hair is in that phase at any given time.
9. The technician controls and customizes your treatment to minimize discomfort. They can vary the strength of the beam, called the ‘fluence’, for different skin types. The delay between pulses will allow the surrounding skin to cool.
10. Laser hair removal is considered safe if performed correctly, by a trained and experienced technician, using the proper equipment. It is useful for large areas such as the back or legs and hair re-growth is usually lighter in color and finer in texture.
About the Author: Independent Author in Thailand