Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
An answer to all your questions on Bird flu
1. What is Bird Flu?
Bird flu is a virus infection that normally occurs in wild birds and pathologically in poultry, its forms causing mild symptoms or even death within 48 hours. It can also infect humans.
2. What virus is responsible for Bird flu?
There are many subtypes of influenza "A" virus, which affect in a different way poultry, causing mild or serious diseases to birds.
The most lethal subtype of influenza "A" virus is H5N1, also known to be very dangerous to humans.
3. How can birds get infected?
Wild birds are a reservoir of the virus and they spread the disease among the poultry which gets into close contact to contaminated dirt, water, food and wild bird excrements.
4. How can the infection spread within the country?
Contaminated vehicles, clothes, cages and shoes can carry the virus from place to place. Birds that roam freely and those sold in markets can also to that.
5. How can Bird flu infect humans?
Getting in close contact with an infected bird can lead to human contamination. People that take care or sell in markets such infected birds, like chicken, turkey and ducks, inhale particles from dried excrements, or feathers which are contaminated.
Eating cooked chicken is not dangerous because heat kills the H5N1 virus.
6. Why worry about Bird flu?
- H5N1 virus has caused by now millions of bird deaths, and hundreds of humans only in Asia;
- If the virus mutates it will spread from human to human, causing a global pandemic;
- Chicken industry will be seriously affected.
7. How can I know if I have Bird flu?
If you have been lately in close contact with one ore more infected birds, you could develop one or more of these symptoms: fever, lethargy, sore throat, muscle aches, cough, breathing problems, and multi-organ failure.
8. How does it manifest on birds?
Chicken are not as productive as before, they suffer muscle paralysis, diarrhea, they gasp for breath, and even die suddenly.
9. How can we treat bird flu?
Usually doctors use antiviral drugs for treatment, some are also used for prevention. Scientists are researching a vaccine against H5N1 virus and the results seem to be promising.
10. What measures does the Government take in case of Bird flu?
The government will prohibit selling chickens in the markets while there is a threat of bird flu; will advise people to stay away from any kind of birds; will ask farmers to report any suspect deaths observed on poultry.
About the Author: So, if you want to find out more about symptoms of bird flu or even about bird flu prevention please click this link http://www.bird-flu-info-center.com/