Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Under-Treatment of Lymphoma and the Risks of Relapse
The treatment of lymphoma comprises a wide variety of immunosuppressant medications as well as a series of specific cancer therapies. Patients with lymphoma are often prescribed combination treatments, receiving carefully established doses of cancer medications according to age, gender and more important, the type of lymphoma and its stage of progression. In order to maximize the potency of the treatment and reduce the risks of relapse, doctors need to take in consideration all these previously mentioned aspects when deciding upon the appropriate dose of medications.
If patients are administered lymphoma medications in the wrong dose, the treatment will either fail to accomplish its expected action (in case of under-dosage) or generate severe temporary or even permanent side-effects (in case of over-dosage). Choosing the most appropriate drugs and deciding the perfect individual dose for each patient with lymphoma is a very challenging and time-consuming task for doctors. However, if this protocol is not followed correctly, the existing treatment of lymphoma can produce a series of undesired results.
Recent medical studies have revealed that the under-treatment of lymphoma is a very common phenomenon in hospitals, clinics and other medical establishments nationwide. Under-treatment of lymphoma has been recently identified as a significant cause of relapse among lymphoma sufferers. Due to the fact that repeated treatments often fail to control the progression of lymphoma in relapsed cases, it is very important to establish the appropriate dose of medications and decide upon the right duration of the specific treatment in the first place. Although the doses of lymphoma medications can be slightly adjusted over the period of administration, under-treatment of lymphoma should be avoided at all costs.
According to oncologists, patients who suffer from aggressively progressing Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma should receive the specific chemotherapeutic treatment in precise doses and without delay in order to prevent relapse. Although rapidly progressing Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is considered to a severe, life-threatening disease, the existing forms of treatment and therapies can successfully reverse the malignant effects of the lymphoma cancer on the body and slow down the progression rate of the disease.
Paradoxically, fast progressing Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma subtypes, as well as Hodgkin’s Disease are more curable than slower progressing lymphomas. The phenomenon is explained by the increased potency of existing chemotherapeutical drugs in fighting against rapidly dividing malignant cells. However, despite the high curability of these varieties of lymphoma, it is imperative to prescribe the specific course of treatment in the right doses in order to obtain the best results. If the treatment is delayed, prematurely stopped or prescribed in the wrong doses, the risks of relapse are considerably increased and the afflicted patients rarely respond to re-treatment.
Recent studies conducted in randomly chosen medical establishments nationwide have revealed very disturbing facts regarding the treatment of lymphoma patients: around 50 percent of patients with highly curable forms of lymphoma cancers receive considerable dose reductions during chemotherapy. Thus, the chances of long-term survival for this category of patients are substantially reduced, despite the curable nature of their disease. Researchers have stated that it is imperative for cancer specialists to avoid under-treatment for patients with curable forms of lymphoma and that future treatments should be optimized in order to minimize the risks of relapse.
The initially decided doses of medications shouldn’t be reduced unless the patients with lymphoma are confronted with severe side-effects. According to medical researchers, less than 5 percent of all lymphoma cases actually require ulterior changes in dosage; the other 95 percent of cases should receive the specific treatment in the same dose until the disease is completely overcome.
About the Author: So, if you want to find out more about cutaneous t cell lymphoma or even about cutaneous t cell lymphoma please visit this link http://www.lymphoma-center.com/