Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
The 5 Most Essential Hair Products for Healthy, Beautiful Hair
Imagine having healthy, shiny, manageable hair everyday – whether you’re at work, out on the town, or just hanging around. Now, imagine all the products you think you’ll need to maintain your locks. I bet you’re getting white hairs just thinking of all the bottles, sprays, and jars piled up on your bathroom shelf! Clear away all that junk and make room for just 5 types of products that will keep your hair looking fabulous all the time.
1. Conditioning Shampoo/Moisturizing Shampoo: This type of shampoo basically eliminates the need for a separate conditioner, which can weigh down fine hair. The best types of conditioning shampoos are those containing natural moisturizers, such as jojoba (the closest natural element to the oil on human skin and hair). You may also want to use shampoos that are made especially for dry, damaged, or color-treated hair. A good one to try is the ISH Color Lock Shampoo, which contains all natural ingredients, such as coconut, vitamin E, and jojoba. If your strands still could use a drink even after a hydrating shampoo, consider using a small amount of light-weight conditioner just on the ends of your hair every other day. I recommend Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm, a delicate rinse-out conditioner that won’t leave a residue.
2. Deep Conditioning Treatment (use weekly): This is a must, especially if you use any kind of heat on your hair (blow-dryers, curling irons, flat irons, even if they are ceramic/ionic). Everyday your tresses are exposed to sun, wind, humidity, and other environmental elements. It’s so important that you treat them at least once a week to a deep conditioning. If you’ve had a particularly eventful week, putting your strands under a lot of stress, a deep treatment can also provide damage control to avoid breakage and frizzies. After a dose of intense conditioning, such as with Framesi Options Drench Deep Moisture Masque, your hair will thank you!
3. Leave-in Conditioner: These light-weight moisturizers are not meant to be rinsed out, so your hair is protected from heat and other damaging factors. Leave-in conditioners also provide a defense against heated appliances. Without the use of a good leave-in, your hair style will look dry and frizzy, especially at the ends. To avoid distressed looking strands after styling, be sure to invest in a leave-in conditioner or moisturizer that is weightless, yet provides adequate resistance against elements harmful to the hair. Joico’s new Daily Care Line has an effective Leave-in plus Detangler. For men, go with American Crew’s Leave-In Conditioner – the smell is irresistible!
4. Shine Enhancing Hair Spray: After primping for that special night out, you want your look to last all night! In order to dance til you drop and still have fabulous hair, you need a hair spray that will hold up. Because 95% of holding agents contain alcohol, your strands are likely to become dried out with hair spray usage, robbing your hair of moisture and shine. A quick solution is to use a hair spray that also contains a shine enhancing agent, such as the very popular Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine Super Spray. To save money, purchase the larger 33oz size and refill your own spray bottle as needed.
5. Purifying Shampoo: This is one of the most over-looked type of products, but definitely one of the most important. In addition to damage caused by the climate, hair also attracts dirt, oil, dust, and any other things floating around in the environment. Not to mention, there is also potential for residue build-up from using styling agents and heavy conditioners. It is necessary to use a purifying shampoo (also called clarifying or detoxifying shampoo) at least once a week to keep your luscious locks free of build-up and other toxic elements. Not thoroughly cleansing your hair with a purifying shampoo will result in limp locks that will look greasy instead of shiny. Try Pureology Purify Shampoo, which promises to detoxify hair using witch hazel, tea tree oil, and baking soda.
Kristen L – Beauty and Hair Consultant
About the Author: Kristen is a Hair and Beauty Product Writer and Specialist for popular brands including FHI, Crede, Yuko System, Paul Mitchell, Redken, ISH Ionic Rescue, Alterna and more