Here's How to Do What You Can to Protect Yourself From Prostate Cancer
Is prostate cancer in your future? if you are a male, it could be. This dreaded disease is one of the most common cancers for men who are 50 years of age and older.
How can you tell if you have prostate cancer? Check out the following symptoms of prostate cancer below:
1. You have to run to the bathroom to urinate a lot more frequently than you did in the past. This is especially true at night.
2. Urinating is painful or very uncomfortable. Burning may accompany urination as well.
3. You notice that after you think you've stopped urinating, there's dribbling afterwards.
4. It concerns you that you can't completely void your bladder.
5. It's hard to start and stop urinating.
6. The flow of urine is not steady, but weak and often interrupted.
7. Impotence or impaired function may occur.
8. There may be blood in urine or semen.
9. Pain in the lower back and surrounding areas may be noticed.
Prostate cancer develops very slowly, so you might not experience symptoms until the disease is in an advanced state.
There are other diseases that also have these accompanying symptoms, so be sure to see a doctor for a checkup and for medical advice.
Prostate cancer can be fatal, so why not do all you can do to help protect yourself. Here are some health weapons for you:
1. Use food as a primary health weapon.
Be sure to eat a lot of different types of fresh fruits and vegetables.
There are certain foods that are especially helpful in preventing cancers of various types.
For example, including fish in your diet is one of the healthiest things you can do. Research has shown that fish oils tend to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. In other parts of the world, populations that consume a lot of fish also have a much lower rate of prostate cancer.
Soybean products, such as soya milk and tofu, would be good additions to your diet.
If you don't do anything else, be sure to eat a lot of tomato products -- including fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce. Tomatoes are the king of fruits and vegetables when it comes to helping ward off prostate cancer. Lycopene is found in tomatoes. It's the lycopene in tomatoes that make the lowly tomato king of foods since tomatoes can help prevent prostate cancer.
Eat foods made from whole grains instead of processed white flour.
Eat foods rich in calcium. this is especially important for men who suffer from advanced prostate cancer.
2. Don't harm your health by eating foods that tear your body down instead of building it up.
Try not to eat foods high in unsaturated fat and foods containing processed sugar.
Avoid eating a lot of red meat.
3. Take vitamins and mineral supplements.
One of the most powerful supplements in protecting from cancer is selenium, so include it too.
Vitamin E has a reputation for helping protect those who take it from cancer.
Be sure to include supplemental lycopene on a regular basis. Research reveals encouraging news for men who undergone prostate cancer surgery. Those who take lycopene may experience less pain and live longer than those who don't take it.
4. Be sure to protect your health by shedding unneeded pounds, so keep up a regular exercise routine.
Prostate cancer is a threat to many men, but you can help protect yourself by following the health tips in this article.
About the Author: Learn how to try to prevent prostate cancer. Patricia Wagner provides a variety of health and wellness tips to help you be healthier at http://www.azhealthtips.com .