Common Names Vitex Angus, Angus Castus, Chaste Tree, Monk''s Pepper
Vitex is an herb found in Asia and in Mediterranean countries. Vitex contains inimitable plant- derived nutrients that have special effects on women''s health. Vitex is believed to repress libido and encourage chastity, which is also known as Chaste Tree.
Vitex has been used for many centuries to treat women with hormonal imbalances.Vitex works on the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. It enhance the production of the luteinizing hormone .It also slows the free of the follicle stimulating hormones. This allows for a shift from estrogen to progesterone in the body causing a grow in the progesterone. The changes in the progesterone levels are an not direct effect of the Vitex.
Vitex herb has been used in treating woman dealing with premenstrual syndrome as well as women that have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). A lot of women with PCOS do not have a period every month and thus do not ovulate. This is caused by a hormonal imbalance .The woman will produce an egg each month but there is not enough progesterone to allow the egg to release. Vitex can be very helpful to these women by allowing the body to produce more of the progesterone needed to cause the egg to be released .If the egg is not released each month it forms a cyst. Women with PCOS also can have a elevated prolactin level; Vitex can help lower this level as well.
- Vitex is believed to act on the hypothalamus and pituitary, regulating progesterone levels.
- Vitex is reputed to have a hormonal consequence and is often used for disorders of the female reproductive system.
- Vitex fruit to enhance a nursing mother''s milk provide and help stop women''s hemorrhaging after giving birth.
- Vitex has also been used successfully to treat unequal menstrual cycles, increasing or decreasing flow as needed, and to trim down menstrual cramping.
- Vitex may also be used after discontinuing use of birth control pills to bring back normal ovulation.
- The benefits of Vitex stem from its actions ahead the pituitary gland-specifically on the creation of a hormone called luteinizing hormone (LH).
- The androgen-reducing effects of Vitex may help curb male libido, which supports the habitual use of this berry my monks to condense sex drive.
- Vitex also helps to decline mildly elevated prolactin levels, and in this way benefits women who have symptoms of infertility related to prolactin disparity.
- Vitex can ease related symptoms including breast tenderness, headaches, fatigue and the retention of Moon-ruled fluids.
Consult with your doctor for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Large doses may cause ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome. Not recommended during pregnancy. Women who have cancers of the breasts or reproductive system, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids, and men who have prostate cancer should not take Vitex.
As a dietary supplement, take 4 to 6 capsules a day with meals or a glass of water. A standard daily recommendation is 40 milligrams of the dried herb in capsule form, or 40 drops of the herbal liquid extract.
For more health articles kindly visit our website: Health Articles
About the Author: http://www.getnutri.com