Is Mold Hazardous To Your Health? Common Mold Related Health Problems
Mold is everywhere. Check under the carpet, behind the walls, on the shower tiles, in the coffeepot, and there it is. Itís an unavoidable part of life that can be controlled, but never totally eliminated.
Since we have to live with mold, it is important to be aware of mold related health problems. How can the presence of mold in your home adversely affect you?
While some types of mold contain toxins, most mold is non-toxic and not life-threatening. However, our natural reactions to mold cause many minor irritating problems, and there is some risk for potential long-term trouble.
If you suffer from asthma or any other breathing disorder, mold may be a very serious health risk for you. You should try to keep your home free of mold as well as possible, and talk to your physician about ways to limit the danger.
Here are some common mold related health problems:
Nasal Congestion. Most people are mildly allergic to mold. The most common symptom is a stuffy nose. Even though you do not have a cold, you may get a stuffy nose when you enter certain rooms or houses. If you suddenly get congested in certain parts of your home, this may be an indication that you have some mold growing somewhere that you canít see.
Headaches. Along with the stuffy nose, many people get headaches. Have you ever gotten a headache when you are in a dusty place? Mold works in the same way. If you have constant headaches for no apparent reason when you are at home, you may have a mold problem.
Itchy or Watery Eyes. Mold produces airborne spores which can irritate different parts of our bodies. Most commonly, these spores get into our nasal cavities or lungs, but they can also irritate your eyes. The symptoms include itchy, red or excessively watery eyes.
Difficulties Breathing. In very severe cases, you may experience a shortness of breath. This would only be the case if you have a serious mold problem. If you are working in an old building or in an exceptionally humid environment, you may experience shortness of breath due mold. In this case, the room needs to be aired out and it may be hazardous for you to spend time there until the mold is under control.
Skin Irritation. In some cases, mold spores may irritate the skin and cause a rash. This is not common, but it does occur.
Asthma. If you have asthma, constant exposure to mold can be a serious health problem. Mold spores will bring on asthma attacks and cause you breathing trouble. If you are asthmatic or especially sensitive to mold, you must keep your environment as mold-free as possible.
It has not been scientifically proven, but many medical professionals believe that continual exposure to mold in childhood may be a factor in developing asthma. For this reason, be extra careful about mold in your home if you have young children.
Mold grows all over the place, but especially in warm, humid environments. Your house may have a mold problem that you canít see, so itís important to pay attention to these symptoms and get rid of the mold!
About the Author: For more resources on Toxic Black mold and for mold inspection and testing advice, please visit our website, where you will also learn about the symptoms of black mold