Cold Sore Treatment – 10 Easy Tips
Cold Sore Treatment – 10 Best Tips
More than half of the American population carries the herpes simplex 1 virus. That means that millions of folks like you and me have suffered from the painful sores at least once in our lifetime. For some, it is a recurring experience, a nightmare at that. Billions of dollars have been spent thus far to research for a complete cold sore treatment but it has not been successful till date.
Though cold sores tend to heal within 7 to 10 days without any cold sore treatment, the fact remains that the duration can seem like a lifetime to sufferers. The painful blisters that form on your skin, mostly on your lips could cause much discomfort and itch. It is common knowledge that cold sores are not curable, but there are various forms of cold sore treatment to minimize the discomfort and pain, and its infectious period.
Here I would like to share 10 simple tips to treat cold sores:
1. Apply acyclovir (take for instance over-the-counter Zovirax cold sore cream) on the cold sore immediately upon discovery of the symptoms. Do this for 5 times daily over the next 5 days. It would help to reduce the duration of the outbreak.
2. Drape a cold compress such as ice wrapped with cloth over the cold sore. You will be surprised that this simple cold sore treatment offers much pain and itch relief.
3. Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
4. Avoid touching other parts of your body after contact with your cold sores. The herpes simplex virus is contagious and the last thing you want is to spread it.
5. Keep your hands clean. Remember to wash them thoroughly after applying medication on the cold sores.
6. Take herbal treatments such as antiseptics Tea Tree Oil and Sage,etc. Seek medical advice before attempting this cold sore treatment.
7. Use painkillers like aspirin, paracetamol,etc.
8. Use medication containing anesthetic agents such as benzocaine which alleviates the pain.
9. Apply a tea bag over the cold sores. Tannic acid, an antiviral agent that can be found in tea is effective for cold sore treatment.
10. Take sufficient rest, and keep your body hydrated. The simple truth remains that our body will naturally heal when well-rested.
I have benefited much from these simple tips. I hope they would help you too in your cold sore treatment.
About the Author: Davion is a successful webmaster and author. Learn more about all types of cold sore treatment including how you can treat your cold sores using natural treatment in 3 days easily from home at coldsoretreatment.blogspot.com.