Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Need to Protect Yourself from The Complications from Diabetes?
Diabetes is a disease that can lead to very serious complications -- such as blindness and amputation of limbs due to gangrene. For that reason -- if you have diabetes, be sure to take care of yourself.
Here are some health tips for you to remember as you try to properly care for yourself:
1. Stay on schedule with your medication and take it at the same time on a daily basis -- preferably about the time you usually eat.
2. Exercise regularly.
Walking, playing golf, and using a treadmill are three possible exercises you might want to consider. Since diabetics can become exhausted rather easily, regular exercise will help you be more energetic.
3. Take special care of your feet.
Diabetes can result in numerous complications affecting the limbs and feet, so keep watch over your feet and point out to your doctor any suspicious infections. If you have any sores on your feet, they can easily become infected if you have diabetes. After you've taken a bath or shower, carefully examine your feet. Be sure to dry them thoroughly -- and make sure the areas between your toes are completely dry as well. Wear properly fitting shoes and socks to protect your feet.
4. Most importantly, keep checking your blood glucose levels and make sure they are at the level recommended by your doctor.
5. Drink a lot of water every day -- at least 64 ounces.
6. Eat a healthy diet and include carbohydrates, good fats and lean protein. Eat a lot of fresh vegetables. Take a daily multivitamin and make sure that you include antioxidants as well as essential minerals.
7. Ward off gum disease as much as possible by brushing and flossing your teeth properly and often. Visit your dentist on a regular basis as well so that you don't build up tartar on your gumline.
8. Get plenty of sleep -- at least seven to eight hours every night. Keep regular hours so that your body gets used to a consistent sleep pattern. Go to bed at about the same time each night. Not getting enough sleep can be very harmful to you as a diabetic.
Although there are serious complications that can result from having diabetes, you can help protect yourself by carefully following the eight tips in this article.
About the Author: Here's more information about diabetes complications. Author Patricia Wagner writes about healthy foods and other health tips to help you be healthier at http://www.a-to-z-wellness.com .