The Use of Homeopathy in Pediatric Medicine
Homeopathy and pediatrics is a combination that many are not accustomed to thinking about explicitly. In fact, homeopathy is regularly used to treat children throughout many parts of the developed world. Although most know very little about homeopathic medicine, following Chinese medicine, homeopathy is the second most prevalent branch of medicine on the planet.
Homeopathy is used to treat diseases in children ranging from semi-serious illnesses to the common cold. Although homeopathy works in a number of ways, its most basic function is to help strengthen and focus a child’s immune system when they are sick based on the symptoms and root cause of the ailment. Once their own immune systems become stronger, they are able to fight off diseases more effectively.
What makes homeopathy particularly suited to pediatrics is that the medicine is often sweet and appealing, and has little to no side effects. The pleasant taste combined with the low incidence of side effects such as nausea or drowsiness, ensures that the child will be more likely to take the medication on a regular basis.
Typical Applications of Homeopathy in Pediatrics
Homeopathic treatment usually falls into two categories; either acute or chronic conditions. Acute conditions refer to a sick child that is suffering from such illnesses as colds, sore throats, or the stomach flu. Chronic conditions refer to ailments such as allergies, asthma or any number of skin diseases.
Whether dealing with acute or chronic conditions in children, homeopathy has proven to be quite effective. In the case of acute conditions, parents often can treat the child at home with homeopathy. However, in the case of chronic conditions, meeting with a well-trained homeopathic professional may be necessary to treat the child.
Over the Counter Products
Parents who choose to treat children with an acute condition at home may consider a home prescription kit with homeopathic remedies in 12c or 30c concentrations. Home prescription kits containing homeopathic remedies can be brought online or at stores and range from to 0 dollars. Many homeopathic products are available as over the counter medicines.
Parents can also purchase manuals and books on homeopathy for under .
Homeopathic medicines are free of artificial colors and chemicals and are usually considered safe for infants and children.
Homeopathic medicines come in pills and liquid form. The medicine that is prescribed depends on three things: the type of medicine that is being given, its strength, and the condition of the patient.
Some Other Interesting Facts about Homeopathy
· Homeopathy is based on clinical and experimental data.
· The founding father of homeopathy was Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843), a German physician, who developed the basic principles of homeopathy in the late 1700s.
· Homeopathy is recognized by medical professionals and government agencies including the U.S. Food and Drug Association (FDA), and is regulated as medicine.
· Sugar pills are commonly used as a binding agent in homeopathic medicine and as carriers for the medicine.
· Homeopathy uses the principles of dilutions to achieve extremely low concentrations of high potency herbal and other remedies.
· Homeopathic medicine can work fairly fast in acute cases. In chronic cases, the medication works at a slower pace.
· When a person is uses homeopathic treatments they should abstain from certain foods like tea, coffee and alcohol.
· Homeopathic medicines are based on naturally occurring remedies, are usually not patented and are therefore cheaper then other types of conventional medicines.
· Homeopathic medicines usually do not have any side effects.
About the Author: Jacqueline Courtiol is a teacher, mother and the co-developer of a homeopathic formula for relieving infant gas and colic. Jacqueline has authored numerous articles on various aspects of parenting, baby's health and child development. Her website is Gripe Water for Infant Colic.