Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
14 Proven Gardening Tips
1. If you do not have much time for gardening, stick to plants in containers, such as tubs, boxes and baskets. They are easier to feed and tend if you have a busy lifestyle.
2. If you are not sure what you want the layout of your garden to be, plant in pots so you can move plants around until you are happy.
3. If you are buying ready-potted plants of flowers, make sure that they have already begun to flower; otherwise there is a risk that they may never flower at all.
4. These flowering plants are known to survive and thrive in most cities with extremely hot temperatures and high pollution: Madagascar periwinkle, lantana, impatiens, cosmos, cleome (spider flower) and canna (Indian flag).
5. Add compost to your garden soil two to four weeks before you plant. This way, the compost will be integrated within your garden soil.
6. Do not place houseplants in direct sunlight. Even though houseplants need some light, their leaves will wilt if directly exposed to the sun.
7. Make your garden more fragrant by planting more lightly colored or white flowers. You can also give your garden a rich fragrant smell by adding thick-textured flowers such as gardenia, citrus and magnolia, which have very distinctive and intense scents.
8. Water features in the garden should be kept fresh. Install plants like water violet to keep the water oxygenated.
9. Do not plant too many plants in one area. Competition for resources will cause growth of poor-quality plants.
10. Never plant anything under conifers because those particular trees cause the soil to become acidic. Plants around conifers would not grow.
11. Glossy leaves reflect light so it is better to place plants with glossy leaves in shadowy corners to make your garden look bigger. They will thrive there too.
12. Soak eggshells in water overnight and then use the solution as a fertilizer. The solution will be full of nutrients from the eggshells.
13. Use a pitchfork to aerate the lawn regularly. This helps natural drainage and also encourages movement of insects beneath the ground.
14. Open the greenhouse via the door or windows for at least two hours a day. It recycles the air and gets rid of any excess heat.
About the Author: Visit Gardening Information website and learn proven gardening tips.