Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Prevention of Low Back Pain
Most of us will experience low back pain at some time in our life. The good news is most low back pain can be prevented. Decreasing the chance of acquiring low back pain requires increasing strength and endurance of the supporting structures as well as enhancing flexibility and utilizing proper movement mechanics.
First, lack of flexibility is the main cause of low back pain. Specifically, tight hamstrings, hip flexors and tightness in the lower back itself can lead to pain. To prevent low back pain these muscles should be stretched regularly.
Low back pain can also be caused by an imbalance between the strength of the abdominal and low back muscles. The strength ratio should be one to one. It's important to work both your back extensors and your abs and if one is stronger than the other design your workout accordingly.
Following are some tips for maintaining a healthy back:
* Perform exercises in a slow controlled manner.
* Avoid excessive high impact activities if you have low back pain
* Perform both strength and endurance training
* Perform a thorough warmup and cooldown with each workout.
* Maintain proper postural alignment when lifting or bending. When lifting bend your knees and use your legs, not your back.
*Avoid hyperextending when doing trunk extension exercises.
* Isometric exercises, which involve contracting the core muscles and holding, are very good for spinal stabilization.
Some low back pain is genetic but much is caused by muscle tightness and imbalance. Inattention to proper posture and exercise technique are other contributers. If you are experiencing low back pain see a healthcare professional and with proper clearance partner up with an exercise specialist to design a program for your healthy back.
About the Author: Dr Lanny Schaffer is an Exercise Physiologist and the President of The International Fitness Academy. For more cutting edge fitness and health information go to http://www.aerobic-exercise-coach.com