Go Ahead: Take the Plunge
Are you ready for something totally different? Then try water workouts. Aquaexercise is a great low impact activity that almost anybody can participate in. Here are the facts:
* The buoyancy factor of water lessens the weight of an individual by about ninety percent. That's why there's less stress on the joints, muscles and bones during water training. Thus there is less perceived trauma and less injury.
* Water workouts don't seem as hard but you're still getting a great workout. Aquaexercise improves cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance and reduces body fat.
* Aerobic workouts in the pool are perfect for those who find the same land movements jarring and painful. Because water creates resistance as you move the overall energy expended is similar to that on land.
* Heart rate will drop as much as 17 beats per minute when compared to land exercise. It's therefore important to pay attention to how you feel when judging intensity. Heart rate checks will not be accurate.
* The resistance created by the water as you move creates strength. There are special hand paddles and other devices you can purchase to furthur increase this resistance.
* The effects of gravity are lessened in water which allow you to move your joints through their full range of motion promoting flexibility.
Water has an unprecedented effect of leaving you refreshed and calm rather than out of breath and exhausted. There are hundreds of types of water exercise classes offered today both for healthy populations and for those with specific chronic health conditions. Check with your local health club to find out which one is best for you. Go ahead. Get you feet wet!
About the Author: Dr Lanny Schaffer is an Exercise Physiologist and the President of The International Fitness Academy. For more cutting edge information on fitness and wellness go to http://www.aerobic-exercise-coach.com