7 Strategies That Will Help You Reduce Credit Card Debt
1. Identify your debt problem – It’s important you find the main problem that created your credit card debt. Try to cut that specific payment by at least 20%. If you don’t, your credit card debt will only worsen and in the future eliminating your credit card debt will be harder to achieve.
2. Create a Budget and Goal – Remember that the first thing that got you in debt was incorrect money management. You have to set a budget for yourself and work with it. Write down your personal goal, how much you’re allowed to spend monthly and in what period of time you will reach your goal. The most important thing with this strategy is reading it twice a day to yourself and sticking to your plan.
3. Contact a debt management organization – A lot of debt management services will give you free advice and may even help you manage your payments. You can find some non profitable organizations on our debt management service page.
4. Control your spending habits – This is not easy however, very efficient. Don’t use your credit card so often. Try to use cash and reduce your expenses. Don’t eat at expensive restaurants, use coupons to purchase food and in general buy only what you really need. This way of life doesn’t have to last forever I believe that in 2 - 4 months time you will see a big difference.
5. Apply for a debt consolidation loan – If you are in a large amount of debt consider consolidating your debt. A good way to start is by getting a personal loan. If you have an asset such like a home get a secured loan like a home equity loan. Using this strategy you can consolidate your debt immediately and then just pay of the loan in time.
6. Get a Lower APR credit card - Lower APR cards allow you to transfer multiple card balances into one and eliminate the numerous monthly repayments you have been facing. Again, this is not free extra money. Compare all the transfer options available and understand all the terms and conditions. Failing everything, speak to your creditors and negotiate lower interest rates and payments.
7. Pay More Than The Minimum Payment – Creditors make their fortune thanks to the interest you pay. Therefore, the best solution is to pay more than the minimum payment this will reduce your credit card debt and you will also be paying less in the long run since your interest payments will be lower. If you have trouble paying more than the minimum monthly payment, find a second job.
At the end of the day the most important thing to remember is changing your way of life and spending habits. It maybe not the easiest thing to do but, think of the results at the end and the way you will feel.
If you have poor credit rating see our bad credit debt consolidation page, for solutions.
About the Author: Our Personal Finance Guide is devoted to educate anyone looking to get out of debt visit us for expert guidance.