The Pros And Cons Of Debt Consolidation Loans
Financial issues are the greatest concern in any average household. More than 40% American families spend more than what they earn. An average American household has a credit card debt of approximately 10,000 dollars.
What is Debt consolidation?
Proper money management with debt consolidation is the most practical solution to your debt problems. A debt consolidation loan can help you maintain sound financial health. It is the most preferred alternative to declaring bankruptcy. It enables you to rebuild your credit rating and make payments without having creditors breathe down your neck or paying high interest rates. Nearly all debt consolidation loans are given in the form of home equity loans. Once you pay your debt, all your payments are consolidated into one monthly payment to the lender, at a lower interest rate. Borrowing more money to pay your bills will not help you to get rid of your debts but a low interest rate will surely help you to pay your bills faster.
Pros of debt consolidation loan:
- A debt consolidation loan will combine all your payments into one payment. According to the statistics, an average American citizen pays 11 different creditors, monthly. Making a single payment will help you in figuring out how much and when you need to pay. You will be able to manage your finances easily.
- Home equity loan, also called a second mortgage, is the most common type of debt consolidation loan. The interest rate of this loan is lower in comparison to other consumer debt interest rates. Since the interest rates are lower, the amount you pay per month will decrease gradually.
- You need to deal with only one creditor. If you have any financial issues, you need to call or visit one creditor, instead of several. This will help you to save on time and energy.
- The interest that you would pay on a mortgage or a home equity loan could be used to reduce your taxes.
- A debt consolidation loan helps to improve your credit rating.
Although the idea of getting a debt consolidation loan may sound great, it is important to understand the cons involved.
Cons of debt consolidation loan:
- You need to qualify for a debt consolidation loan or mortgage.
- Debt consolidation loan is a secured debt. A secured debt enables the lender to take away whatever was secured for the loan, if you fail to pay back.
- You may end up spending more than what you would have, if you kept to the individual loans. This is due to the fact that the interest rates of these loans are comparatively low.
- Debt consolidation helps to make your payments easier and this may make you resume your old spending habits and the use of credit cards all over again.
It is important to take a realistic look at all the possible pros and cons before applying for a debt consolidation loan. Debt consolidation loan ads come across as solutions to come out of your present financial problems, but it is advisable to take time and decide whether it will work to your interest.
About the Author: Joe Kenny writes for the Loan Store UK and offer more information on UK debt consolidation loans and other loan topics available on site.
Visit Today: http://www.ukpersonalloanstore.co.uk