Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Your Moving Checklist
A moving checklist can keep you from forgetting important things, like turning on the utilities in your new home. You'll want to make your own list of things to be done, but you can start with the suggestions below.
Moving checklist - One Month Before
- Make reservations with moving company.
- Notify friends and family and give them your new address.
- Submit change of address forms to post office.
- Get documents for school transfers, if you have children.
- Have a garage sale or otherwise lighten the load.
One Or Two Weeks Before
- Arrange utility shut-offs and new connections.
- Transfer banking accounts to new location.
- Return books to library, rented movies, etc.
- Transfer prescriptions to new location.
- Clean house and dispose of things that won't be moved.
- Start packing and labling boxes.
- Pack an "essentials" box for arrival, with toiletries, paper plates, etc.
- Make moving plans (make hotel reservations, get maps, etc.).
- Start early and remember to eat.
- Double check every room and storage area.
- Turn off lights, lock doors.
- Leave the keys with the new owner or real estate agent.
You will undoubtedly have many more items to add to your personal list. Start writing down anything you think of as soon as you know you'll be moving. Will the phone be on when you arrive at your new home? Will you have to return across the country just because you forgot about a safe-deposit box that has the family jewelry? The best way to avoid problems like these is to start early on your moving checklist.
About the Author: Steve Gillman has invested real estate for years. See a photo of a beautiful house he and his wife bought for ,500 on his home page, or go straight to the section on Investing In Real Estate: http://www.HousesUnderFiftyThousand.com