Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Ten Moving Tips
These moving tips may include a few things you hadn't thought of, or things you just need to be reminded of. Forget that safe deposit box, for example, and you may have to drive a long way to get at it. Ten more moving tips follow.
1. Get rid of things. Consider carefully what you need to keep. People spend hundreds of dollars to move things that will undoubtedly be thrown away some day. It's not just a matter of the expense, but the hassle too. Moving time is the best time to get rid of the things you really don't need.
2. Have a yard sale. It's a good way to get rid of those things, and you might even raise enough money to pay for the move.
3. Use lists. You will forget things, especially if you don't have a list or two. Start with a list of things to do before the move. It may include getting school documents transferred, filling out change of address forms, returning borrowed books and movies, transferring prescriptions, getting maps, and arranging utility shut offs and start ups.
4. Make the the moving company reservation a month ahead. You wouldn't want to find out they are booked up on the date you need them.
5. Pack early. It's hard to say how long it will take until you are doing it. Start early to avoid running around looking for boxes at the last moment.
6. Have an "essentials" box. This will have things to make your arrival easier, like toilet paper, paper plates, soap and such. Pack the box where it is easily accessible.
7. Check weather reports. It's no fun arriving in a snowstorm with your coat packed away somewhere. Allow for extra moving time if the weather is going to slow down traffic.
8. Notify family and friends of your new address and phone number(s). Do this before you have the phone shut off.
9. Save your receipts. Save receipts for moving expenses, like gas, hotel rooms, and anything else related to the move. Then ask your accountant or tax preparer if you are eligible for a tax deduction for moving expenses.
10. try to re-establish your routines quickly. It helps to quickly re-establish routines in your new home, so if Friday night is movie night, don't break with tradition. Moving is less traumatic if you have some consistency in daily life. If you are moving with children, this may be one of the more important moving tips.
About the Author: Steve Gillman has invested in real estate for years. To learn more, get a free real estate investing course, and see a photo of a beautiful house he and his wife bought for ,500, visit http://www.HousesUnderFiftyThousand.com