How To Choose The Perfect Rocking Chair
Rocking chairs are arguably the most comfy chairs available in the markets. Now if only picking the right one was as easy as well. Simply hopping over to the store and choosing the first rocking chair that catches your eye is definitely not the right way to pick one. So what is?
Selecting The Ideal Rocking Chair
1. Rocking chair specifications: As far as a rocking chair is concerned, one size does not fit all! A particular rocking chair may be very comfy for you but highly uncomfortable for someone else. This is because the chair fits different people differently. When you sit in the rocking chair, your legs should just about reach the floor. You should not have to stretch to do so; neither should your legs come up against your chest when sitting in the chair; such should be the height of the seat. After the height of the chair, we come to the size of the seat. You should fit in the seat properly with a little room to spare for moving. However, the seat should not be so huge that you have to stretch to reach the armrests. In this manner, it is important to judge the right size of a rocking chair so as to purchase the most comfortable one.
2. Where will the rocking cair be placed? The answer to this question will determine what type of rocker you need. For instance, if the chair will be placed in a bedroom, you need it to be decorative as well as comfortable. If the fireplace is where the chair will go, then you can expect to spend hours in it. In such cases, extra padded chairs and those with cushions will serve you best. For outdoor locations such as patios, porches, lawns etc, you should buy a chair that is approved to be used in wet weather conditions.
3. Base rockers: What sets a rocking chair apart from any other? Naturally, it is the curved rockers that are seen on the bottom of the rocking chairs. These are undoubtedly the most important parts of the chair and thus deserve the utmost consideration. To check the pitch of the rockers, sit in the chair and rock it. If the motion is smooth and continuous and if you do not feel like the rocking chair will tip in the front or back, then the rockers are at the correct pitch. Thats what you essentially want.
4. The rocking motion: The chair should be such that you can set it in motion with a slight push with your feet. One push should keep the chair rocking for at least a minute and not merely a few seconds. The back and forth motion should be silky smooth and not bumpy. Thus, only choose that rocking chair which provides a smooth motion continuously.
5. Is it comfortable? It may look very comfy and may come highly recommended by others, but if you do not feel right when using the chair, or if you have even the slightest bit of hesitation as to its comfort factor, then you should look at another chair. What may feel good for someone else may not necessarily be the same for you. So essentially, go with a rocker which not only looks right and is well made, but which also feels right.
6. Safety aspects: While rocking chairs are extremely user friendly, there is some danger involved with the curved rockers. If you are not careful, you can have your feet crushed if caught under the rockers. Same goes for little children. Thus, if safety is a concern for you, more so with kids around, then you may choose a different type of rocker known as glider rockers. The base of such chairs is not curved but sits flat on the floor, thereby making them safer options.
7. How much are you willing to spend? If money is no object, you should consider buying an exclusive hand crafted rocking chair made by one of the many people who are masters at their craft. It may set you back by thousands of dollars, but every penny will be worth it. But, if you are on a budget, you can still find a comfortable rocking chair for few hundred dollars, albeit not a branded one, unless you decide to buy used.
8. Decor of your house: After ensuring the comfort and the safety factor of the rocker, you need to look at its design and style. Since the rocker will have the pride of the place in your home, it should look the part as well. So make sure the chair you choose compliments your home dcor and does not look out of place in your beautiful home.
9. Assembling the chair: Some rockers arrive fully assembled, and some have to be put together at home. If you are not good at following instructions and assembling things, you probably want one that is shipped completely assembled.
Keeping the above factors in mind when you go shopping for a rocking chair, choosing the right one will be a breeze!
About the Author: Rob Barnes writes for My Rocking Chairs, a consumer guide dedicated to helping you find the perfect rocker, from styles like swivel rocking chairs to brands like Stickley rocking chairs.