Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Child Table and Chairs: Preparing a Special Work Area
Everyone needs a workspace—even kids, or actually, especially kids and a Child Table and Chair Set is the perfect workspace. They need a place where they can draw, write, paint, complete puzzles and crafts, answer an activity book. This is their work, because it’s only through play that they can learn.
That’s why a child table and chair set is as important in a nursery as a crib or a clothes drawer. While children aren’t fussy—they’ll play anywhere, and probably will—their posture and comfort suffer whenever they use a table that’s too big for them. Their shoulders hunch up, their arms stretch just to reach the surface, their legs dangle uncomfortably on the chair (or they’re forced to squat on the chair to compensate for the height). This isn’t helping their concentration, and can actually lead to back pain. Worst of all, they may lose interest in the activity and go do something else—like watch TV—and miss the opportunity to develop their creativity, attention span, and other important skills.
Choosing a Child Table and Chair Set
There are many factors in choosing a child table and chair set for your kids. Review these items to identify your needs and preferences—don’t worry, you’re bound to find a set that’s perfect for your family.
- Size. How old are your kids? How tall should the chair be, and how wide a surface do they need? Their feet should be able to reach the floor, and they should be able to rest their arms on the table without hunching their shoulders.
- Stability. Chairs shouldn’t wobble, and tables should be able to take the weight of the child leaning on it without toppling over. Also look at the legs of the child table and chairs. Are they securely fastened?
- Surface. Have the child tables and chairs been sanded down? You don’t want any splinters or rough spots that can scratch the child. Has the wood been protected with a good varnish? Children will spill water and food on the table, so you want something that can take the wear and tear, and can easily be wiped clean. Also make sure the tables and chairs use a lead-free paint.
- Design. What kind of design would fit the motif of your child’s room and personality? Also ask yourself if you want any special features. For example, art tables should have a bar where you can attach those long rolls of paper, making drawing and painting easier and neater. Others have shelves for art materials, tools, or books.
- Location. Do you want to keep the child table and chair set in the child’s bedroom or outdoors? And how much space do you have in that corner? Those who have limited space will probably want a more compact child table; others would like a larger child table where the child can take snacks while playing in the yard.
- Number. Get child table and chair sets that have more than one chair, perfect for play dates. You should also look for a table with a wide surface, so your child has plenty of room for art equipment and materials, or pieces of a big puzzle.
There’s a plethora of designs for child table and chairs—all so adorable it can be difficult to pick which one you like best!
- Colorful motifs. A little athlete would love a sports motif child table and chair, where the backrests of the chairs are painted to look like different kinds of balls. Wee adventurers would love child table and chairs designed to look like planes, cars and other modes of transportation. Animal lovers will adore jungle-themed, Noah’s Ark or farm-themed child table and chair sets, while your budding dancer will “leap” at the sight of something with a ballerina motif. Does he dream of being a scientist? He’ll absolutely love the cute bug theme (microscope not included). Firemen will like having tables and chairs designed to look like fire hydrants (and red is such an easy color to keep clean, too).
- Classic wood. If you prefer a rustic country look, there are many child table and chair sets that are painted in simple white or pastel colors, or retain the wood’s natural finish. These child table and chair sets blend beautifully with all furnishings, and can be kept in the living room without clashing with the “adult” furniture. They also look gorgeous in a Victorian nursery, and can be used for years—regardless of how many times you redecorate your child’s room.
- Bright basics. You can also opt for basic primary colors, still “classic” but in the crayon shades that appeal to young children. The advantage of these colors is that they are quite easy to match, and add a touch of life and vibrancy to any room.
Coordinate with other furniture
Children really need child table and chairs for their drawing and writing activities, but don’t stop there—you can buy other accessories in a similar theme or color for a fully furnished nursery.
For example, you can get a children’s ottoman chair where he can put his feet up while he reads a book or watches a favorite video. Unlike the chairs for a worktable, these ottomans are designed to let your child relax, possibly to settle down for a nap.
Bookcases are also important to store children’s reading materials, while toy chest store his treasures (and keep them off the floor, where someone can step on them, or worse, slip on them). If you get themed table and chair sets, you should get furnishings that match the motif or color scheme.
Guidelines and tips
- Let your child pick the table and chair set after you’ve narrowed down the choices. Too many choices will overwhelm the child, but do let him have the “final say” about which child table and chair set he’d like to own.
- Your child should be responsible for maintaining his work area. Teach him to put away art materials and puzzle pieces, and let him wipe off spills or stains.
- Remind your child about safety rules. He shouldn’t stand on the table or jump off it, or climb on the child table and chair (they were not designed to be used as stepladders).
About the Author: Misti is the owner of Wishrooms.com which offers unique Kid Furniture for bedrooms and playrooms at affordable prices.