TRAVEL SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR BABY
Following Britney’s recent faux pas with her new baby, whom she was carrying on her lap while driving a car, travel safety for your babies has again become an issue again. Hundreds of babies are hurt or even killed in car accidents every single day due to parental negligence. On most occasions these unfortunate events could have easily been avoided if only the baby’s parents had used safety car seats. The baby safety car seats are specially designed to protect your child from car accidents etc., your baby’s head and neck and other muscles tend to be soft and hurt easily in case of a sudden jerk or fall. The baby safety car seat makes sure that such sudden jerks and falls do not affect your child in any way.
Following is a list of the common types of baby car seats available in the market:
(1) Baby Car seats – These face the end of the car and can support about 20lb of weight.
(2) Convertible (Infant/toddler) car seats- can function as both a rear facing seat as well as a forward facing seat and are meant for babies between 30-35 lb. For better safety purposes keep your baby facing the rear as long as possible (most kids can’t seem to bear facing the rear for too long due to the motion sickness it induces.)
(3) Belt Positioning booster seats – for slightly older kids, say around 2 ˝ - 3 years, go for the Belt-positioning booster seats. These can take up to 40 pounds of weight and use the standard in-car shoulder belt to keep your kid safe.
As a parent not only do you need to take safety precautions in order to protect your child from accidents, but also know how to use the safety precautions correctly. Thus buying a baby car seat isn’t enough you must also learn to install it properly. Most parents thread the belts of the seat through the wrong slots or forget to use a locking clip or to buckle up the child without realizing what grave consequences these tiny mistakes might have. If you have fixed the car seat accurately it will not budge more than an inch on either side, so check to see if the seat is moving once you have installed it.
Tips for traveling with your baby
Here are a few simple rules you must follow while traveling with your baby,
• Make sure you follow the directions given in the manual that comes with the car seat while putting your baby in the crib.
• Make sure your baby’s weight is not more than that permitted by the seat company.
• Remember to carefully fasten all the loops and buckles so that your baby is tightly secured.
• Make sure to carry a lot of water, a well-equipped first aid kit and your mobile phone. All these will come handy in case of an emergency
• In case your baby seat starts getting worn out, replace it immediately. Using a car seat that is excessively worn out will not serve its purpose.
When purchasing a car seat for your baby make sure you buy one that fits into your car perfectly. Price really doesn’t matter; even the cheapest car seat will have passed the crash test. Also keep in mind your child’s height and weight, purchase the car seat according to these.
About the Author: For more information from Philip Berg about internet security, please visit http://www.highchairsforbaby.info