Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Satellite TV Programming Comparisons - DIRECTV vs. DISH Network
Satellite TV Programming Comparisons
At first glance DIRECTV and DISH Network seem pretty similar. But when you take a closer look and compare the two you'll see some big differences when it comes to satellite TV programming and prices.
Cheapest Satellite TV Programming Packages
* DISH Network has two inexpensive packages. The Dish Family package is .99 and includes 40 family-oriented channels like The Biography Channel, Discovery Kids, Food Network, Hallmark, and Nickelodeon. Their America's Top 60 package is .99 and has 75 channels with a variety of programs like A&E, CNN, CNBC, Discovery Channel, The History Channel, The Home Shopping Network, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, and TV Games Network.
* DIRECTV's least expensive package, Total Choice, is .99 per month and has 155 channels including A&E, Bloomberg Television, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, Food Network, FX, Videogame TV, Galavision, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, The Histoy Channel, and 50 XM satellite radio chanels.
Mid-Size Satellite TV Programming Packages
* DISH Network has two mid-size packages. America's Top 120 is .99 per month and has 230 channels including all of America's Top 60 channels plus channels like AMC, Animal Planet, ESPN, Fox News Channel, NFL Network, Disney, Telefutura, and 60 Sirius radio stations. America's Top 180 package is .99 per month and has 318 channels including all of America's Top 120 channels plus channels like Biography, Bloomberg, FOX Movie Channel, The Golf Channel, and The Movie Channel.
* DIRECTV's mid-size package, Total Choice Plus, is .99 per month and has 185 channels including all of the Total Choice channels plus channels like Boomerang, Discovery Home, Discovery Kids, The Biography Channel, The Golf Channel, The Science Channel, and 67 XM radio channels.
Top-Of-The-Line Satellite TV Programming Packages
* DISH Network's high-end package, America's Everything Pak, is .99 and has 350 channels including all of America's Top 180 channels plus 31 movie channels from Showtime, Starz, HBO, and Cinemax. You also get DISH Network HD programming.
* DIRECTV's top TV package, Total Choice Premier, is .99 per month and has 250 channels including all of the Total Choice Plus channels plus 31 channels from HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz.
Note: The subscription fees for DISH Network's America's Top 60, Top 120, Top 180, and The Everything package are for the first ten months. After that they are more per month.
Miscellaneous Programming Comparison
DISH Network offers individual HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz movie packages, plus sports packages, adult channels, international channels, HD TV channels, and more than 1,600 pay-per-view programs per month. Local program channels are per month.
DIRECTV offers individual HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz movie packages, plus sports packages (including NFL Sunday Ticket), international channels, adult channels, pay-per-view programs, and HDTV channels. Local program channels are per month.
Visit http://www.thesatellitetvguide.com to see all the current satelliteTV channel listings. Click on the following link for ordering information and to see all the DISH Network channels. Click this link for ordering information and to see the complete DIRECTV channel lineup.
About the Author: The author, Brian Stevens, is the senior editor for TheSatelliteTVGuide.com and has written extensively on satellite TV programming comparisons.