Beware! E-Commerce and online frauds are still around
What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG) is not entirely true with online shopping. Money has taken on an entirely new dimension with money wire transfer,electronic funds transfer, and various on-line transactions. Internet was not created to be a secure medium for transmission of information. Money transactions on the net had attracted hordes of fraudsters. E-commerce sites, banks, credit card companies and other financial institutions have reported a number of attempts at hacking on their servers and sites. Some of these hacking attempts have been successful and these companies quickly resulted in damage control exercise. New methods have been devised by these fraudsters and one such method is called social engineering. This depends on instilling a fear or the fraudster appearing as a genuine party and extraction of credit card as well as other financial information through email (phishing). Another recent method is ‘Domain Name System servers poisoning’ through pharming which is sounding alarm bells for e-commerce sites.
Online shopping still attracts customers. New regulations and policies have been put in place to deal with security issues. Credit card transaction processing and echecks have been put in place. Unfortunately these are only utilized and implemented by the major players. Merchants that have various online shops still need to make sure their software providers for the shopping carts and other online shopping softwares match the security guidelines for online transactions.
One benefit of E-commerce is automation. You can have a transact money website and online invoices to deal with your selling. It has the ability to perform a number of transactions at the same time. The draw back is that there is so much traffic to the sites and also these sites do not look for any suspicious activity. Analyzing patterns are important in identifying e-commerce frauds. Most merchants realize a fraud has taken place 30 to 40 days after the event. In many cases every thing seems to be authentic and even money exchanges are authentic. But the goods reach the fraudster. Credit card theft is rampant on the internet and e-commerce is being affected by this as well.
Do not be deterred by Shopping cart fraud. Get the right shopping cart software and other third party internet payment solutions for a safe transaction and all is well again. Gateway fraud prevention tools have a numerous features to help you in security.
• AVS is a system of checking the address entered by the customer against that provided by the credit card number.
• IP gateway keeps a database of select IP addresses used for past frauds. Payments from these IP addresses are blocked.
• CVV2 is a code that is not stored by the merchant when making a transaction. If any e-commerce site has been hacked and credit card numbers of those making purchases obtained. They still do not have this code. If the CVV2 is not entered or does not coincide with the records the payment is declined. Many trials for entering the CVV2 code is also declined.
• Manual checks can also be performed by potential staff if they feel a fraudulent transaction is being carried out.
• Mater card Site data protection program (SDP) and Visa cardholder information security program (CISP) are methods that need to be integrated into any software solution for e-commerce.
Future e-commerce shopping cart and payment processing systems should not only be good at fighting fraud at the internet level but should also be compliant with Credit card security and authentication requirements.
Transactmoney.com relates to modern transaction methods followed in commerce. Online transaction processing services cater to a global clientele with credit card transaction processing , echeck, etc… You company’s stake in the competitive market depends on secure and optimum transaction processing. Read about the various options on our website.
About the Author: Transactmoney.com relates to modern transaction methods followed in commerce. Online transaction processing services cater to a global clientele with credit card transaction processing , echeck, etc… You company’s stake in the competitive market depends on secure and optimum transaction processing. Read about the various options on our website.