Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Groombridge land has high potential for development
The Groombridge land is agricultural land and has a high potential for development. Groombridge is located on the edge of west Kent, some 7 kilometers to the west of Tunbridge Wells. Groombridge is notable for the unspoilt nature of The Green and its enclosure by groups of buildings that are completely harmonious and with nothing out of place.
Key Characteristics of the Groombridge Land are:
- the unspoilt rural setting in the Metropolitan Green Belt area and the High Weald area of Outstanding Natural Beauty;
- the topography created by the valley of the River Grom and dominance of trees in the parks, along roads and the river and encircling the northern side of the settlement;
- the sloping green and its exceptional array of 17th century cottages, remarkably unspoilt; As a result of the above, the 56 listed buildings, no less than 27 of which are Grade II* and five are Grade I. Such a concentration of high grades is wholly exceptional and serves to underscore the very special quality of the settlement;
- Groombridge Place, remarkably little altered since it was rebuilt in the second half of the 17th century, with its 17th century walled garden and 17th century and later landscaped park, a Grade II* registered landscape;
- the ‘Gothic survival’ church built in 1625, an unusual date for the building of a church, and the four listed Camfield monuments in the churchyard;
- the complete ensemble of village green, church and Groombridge Place with only the minimum of intrusion from the 20th and 21st centuries;
- the mellow variety of building materials, of brick, tile hanging, tile roofs, timber-framing, sandstone and weather boarding;
- the soft and ambiguous boundaries of the properties fronting The Green; and
- the harmonious uniformity of paint colours for doors and windows on The Green.
The unique qualities of Groombridge have been recognized for many years and the village is well preserved. Groombridge Place is rich in historical associations and current day attractions. All these characteristics make it a land with potential for investment.
About the Author: Author is a Land Expert based in the UK.