Article Keyword Videos to Watch
Click on the image to start the video.
Images - Links - Articles
Surrey Demand for Land!
I’m sure you’ve noticed the papers read “Surrey Booming!” or “Vancouver Market BOOM!” or maybe “Fraser Valley Market Is Red Hot”. Well due to increasing population and decreasing supply of land, real estate prices go up. This is a natural law of the world. Many communities have slow growth or no-growth because they cannot meet rapidly expanding needs for their community. With our government, this is not the case. Our government understands that restrictions on land availability means new development. This causes land value to go up in value in the Fraser Valley housing market. Real Estate is a commodity that the public needs. Other investment commodities are not so reliable because they don’t constitute a public need. Sometimes people will live in the lower mainland and want Vancouver Island as a retreat. Vacation property or places of retirement creates further demand for land. And so the cycle goes. You can see why real estate can be a solid investment for your Canadian dollar’s.
For all the reasons outlined in earlier points, clearly buying a new home in British Columbia has the potential for an attractive return on your investment. Before and after tax. In fact some of the tax advantages of real estate investments include the following:
(i) tax free capital gains on your principle residence
(ii) the “ability” to write off principal residence suite’s rental income against your home expense!
(iii) Writing off home based business income against your home expense.
(iv) Reduction tax rate of 50% of capital gain form your investment in real estate
(v) Write off deprecation of the building against income.
(vi) Much, Much more! (contact your local realtor for more information)
A prudent Fraser Valley investor can result in a net positive cash flow income to you every month. Not only can the money provide you with additional money in the lower mainland but the fact that you have a positive cash flow is one factor that automatically increases the value of income acquiring real estate.
Review our 10 key investment Strategies
1. Research the market before making any decisions would be a great start! Consider at least three potential investment opportunities.
2. Buy specific types of property’s that are in demand. For example, a single family house with a spare basement suite for revenue is a great solid commodity. A condominium, duplex, triplex or four-plex. Don’t buy an apartment building until you have the experience of several smaller properties.
3. Strive to have a “break even” cash flow. In other words AVOID DEBT! Cover all your expenses from cash flow such as mortgage payments, taxes, property management and strata fee’s. Also make sure insurance, repair are paid.
4. Budget a “what if” plan just incase you have a vacancy for more then 2 months.
5. Ensure that you have competent property management. Either hire a property manager or do it yourself.
6. Keep rents at market maximums and manage expenses to keep at market minimum.
7. Always view and inspect your property before you buy. Verify all financial information and obtain your realtor’s guidance in the Fraser Valley market.
8. Keep a minimum of 3 moths operating expense as a reserve fund for unexpected expenses such as repairs or vacancies.
9. Buy properties within 4 hours driving distance to where you live. That way you can easily monitor your investment. Stay within Richmond, Burnaby, Vancouver, New West, White Rock, Langley, Maple Ridge, Aldergrove, Abbotsford, Mission and Chilliwack. Any further then that (hope and Vancouver island) maybe be too long of a drive for an investment property.
Give yourself a realistic time frame to achieve your investment objectives. Real estate cycles are 5-8 years and sometimes more! Be patient!
About the Author: Our rental network helps to find quality homes, apartments or vacation rentals in Canada's Fraser Valley area. Visit the website RentSurrey.com for more information on Fraser Valley Homes and Apartments for Sale or Rent.