Top 10 Reasons Why People Fail Their Driving Test
Every year more than 100,000 people fail their driving test in the UK. The pass rate is only 43%, with it even lower for first time candidates. Men are more likely than woman to pass first time, yet interestingly they are statistically more dangerous drivers. Nonetheless, the overall pass rate is still very low, particularly when almost everyone who takes their test feels that they can drive. Therefore weíve compiled the top 10 reasons why people fail their driving test:
1. Acting improperly at road junctions. Get in the right lane when approaching a junction or roundabout. Always indicate.
2. Manoeuvre Ė reversing around a corner incorrectly. Being confident with your manoeuvres is vitally important. Practice really does make perfect so continue practicing them intensively.
3. Incorrect Steering. Remember to feed the steering through your hands. Do this whenever you drive to ensure that it comes naturally.
4. Manoeuvre Ė problems with parking. Again practice makes perfect. If in doubt itís best to be further away from the kerb.
5. Not using gears properly. As a general rule, move into 2nd gear as soon as you move from stationary, 3rd gear at 20mph, 4th gear at 30mph, and 5th gear at 40mph.
6. Under-using your mirrors. This is a common mistake. When it comes to your driving test you really canít look in your mirrors enough.
7. Driving too slowly. Driving too slowly is seen as a sign of being lacking confidence. Drive at or just under the speed limit.
8. Acting incorrectly when turning right. Indicate early and donít force your way out by pulling out half way.
9. Hesitating unnecessarily at junctions. Again, unnecessary hesitation is seen as a sign that you lack confidence in your driving ability. However, donít rush Ė impatience is worse than hesitation.
10. Moving out correctly from stationary positions. Many people successfully complete a manoeuvre or emergency stop, then relax and forget to pull away correctly. Always indicate, check that the road is clear using your mirrors and by looking back, then pull out.
About the Author: Charles Cridland founded the car parking website YourParkingSpace.co.uk, a site where you can earn money through renting out your private parking space, or find long term parking spaces and garages for rent.