How to Care for Your Canvas Prints
Canvas prints are one of the most effective media that you can use for creating high quality fine art reproductions. Just like any artwork, the canvas prints have the tendency to deteriorate if not handled properly. The canvas can be damaged due to several factors. The factors include direct exposure to sunlight as well as exposure to humidity.
For this reason, it is of the essence to care for the canvas prints just like the proper caring that you do to an original work of art. How you care for and handle the canvas print has a great influence on its lifespan.
Here are some of the vital pointers that you should take into consideration to extend the life of your canvas prints:
1. Place the canvas prints in a secured environment. The area where you display the canvas can affect its general condition. Donít place the canvas prints in areas near the bathroom, chimney corner, or close to cooking ranges. An area where there is too much amount of humidity and heat can greatly damage the canvas print. It would lead to the enlargement and contraction of the printed canvas. The print may also lose its color or value.
2. Frame it. To protect the canvas prints from any form of damage, itís best that you have them framed with a UV glass casing.
3. Never clean the canvas prints with a cloth or by means of cleaner especially if itís photo canvas. To care for the photos printed on canvas, it is suggested to use a protective sealer to prevent it from some forms of moisture. Spraying the canvas prints with cleaners has a bad effect since it can leak out under the frame and seep into the print thereby damaging the entire artwork.
4. Avoid using oils, water and cleansers in cleaning the canvas print. It is recommended that you wipe the print using a light sable brush for at least every six months. Most cleaners contain harmful chemicals that can damage the quality of the canvas.
5. Handle it with care. When transporting the canvas prints, see to it that its frame is well-secured.
6. Hang the canvas properly and firmly. Use picture hooks for hanging the printed canvas.
7. Be careful in handling the canvas prints. The human skin is composed of natural skin oils that contain moisture and dirt. If not handled carefully, the canvas prints can get blemishes or some form of yellowing.
8. Make use of archival materials in framing the canvas prints.
9. Use a feather duster to clean the printed canvas.
10. Vacuum the framed canvas print every once in a while to get rid of the tiny insects that may thrive on it.
Overall, handling the canvas print with utmost care is still the best way to prolong its natural life. Canvas prints are generally printed in a non-permanent ink. Any direct contact with water, heat and moisture can weaken the canvas print. So if you want to have canvas prints with lasting quality, you have to take into account all these helpful hints.
About the Author: Charmaine Joy Caro developed her passion for writing when she joined essay writing contests during her elementary years. Her writing skills were made even more improved when she took up the course Bachelor of Arts Major in English.